- Ελληνική Έκδοση
- Undergraduate Courses Outlines
- Outline Modification (available only for faculty members)
- Department of Mathematics
- Save as PDF or Print (to save as PDF, pick the corresponding option from the list of printers, located in the window which will popup)
School of Science
Department of Mathematics
|Level of Studies||
|Independent Teaching Activities||
Lectures-Laboratory (Weekly Teaching Hours: 3, Credits: 6)
|Language of Instruction and Examinations||
|Is the Course Offered to Erasmus Students||
Yes (in English, reading Course)
|Course Website (URL)||See eCourse, the Learning Management System maintained by the University of Ioannina.|
Students completing this course should be able to:
Using R the following topics will be discussed: Generation of random numbers from discrete and continuous distributions. Monte Carlo integration. Using simulation techniques to visualize classical results of statistical inference via simulated data (asymptotic normality of mean, power of a test etc). Density Estimation and Applications (Kernel density estimation). Methods of Resampling ς (Jackknife και Bootstrap). Numerical maximization techniques (Newton-Raphson, Fisher scoring, expectation-maximization [EM]).
Teaching and Learning Methods - Evaluation
|Use of Information and Communications Technology||-|
|Student Performance Evaluation||
Final written exam in Greek (in case of Erasmus students in English) which concentrates on the solution of problems which are motivated by the main themes of the course.
- Davison, A. C., Hinkley, D. V., Bootstrap methods and their application. Cambridge University Press 1997.
- Rizzo, M. L., Statistical computing with R. Chapman & Hall/CRC 2007.
- Robert, C. P., Casella, G., Introducing Monte Carlo methods with R. Springer Verlag 2009