- Ελληνική Έκδοση
- Undergraduate Courses Outlines
- Outline Modification (available only for faculty members)
- Department of Mathematics
- Save as PDF or Print (to save as PDF, pick the corresponding option from the list of printers, located in the window which will popup)
School of Science
Department of Mathematics
|Level of Studies||
Elementary differential geometry
|Independent Teaching Activities||
Lectures (Weekly Teaching Hours: 5, Credits: 7.5)
|Language of Instruction and Examinations||
|Is the Course Offered to Erasmus Students||
Yes (in English)
|Course Website (URL)||See eCourse, the Learning Management System maintained by the University of Ioannina.|
It is an introductory course on differential geometry. The aim is to introduce and study geometric properties of regular curves (both plane and space) and regular surfaces. Fundamental notions of differential geometry of curves and surfaces are introduced and studied. Among them is the notion of curvature. The study requires tools from Linear Algebra and Calculus of several variables.
- Plane curves, arclength, curvature, Frenet frame.
- Space curves, curvature and torsion, Frenet frame, fundamental theorem of curves.
- Surfaces, parametrization, Gauss map, Weingarten map, first and second fundamental form, normal curvature, principal and asymptotic directions, Gaussian and mean curvature, minimal surfaces, Theorema Egregium, Gauss and Weingarten formulas, fundamental theorem of surfaces, developable surfaces.
Teaching and Learning Methods - Evaluation
|Use of Information and Communications Technology||-|
|Student Performance Evaluation||
Written final examination
- Barrett O' Neil, Στοιχειώδης Διαφορική Γεωμετρία, Πανεπιστημιακές Εκδόσεις Κρήτης, 2002
- Manfredo do Carmo, Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces, Prentice-Hall, 1976