- Ελληνική Έκδοση
- Undergraduate Courses Outlines
- Outline Modification (available only for faculty members)
- Department of Mathematics
- Save as PDF or Print (to save as PDF, pick the corresponding option from the list of printers, located in the window which will popup)
School of Science
Department of Mathematics
|Level of Studies||
Euclidean and Non Euclidean Geometries
|Independent Teaching Activities||
Lectures, laboratory exercises (Weekly Teaching Hours: 3, Credits: 6)
|Language of Instruction and Examinations||
|Is the Course Offered to Erasmus Students||
|Course Website (URL)||See eCourse, the Learning Management System maintained by the University of Ioannina.|
This is an introductory course on non Euclidean geometries. The aim is to study how the attempt to prove Euclid's fifth postulate led the way to non Euclidean geometries. On completion of the course the student should be familiar with the foundations of Euclidean and non Euclidean geometries.
Euclid's geometry, Hilbert's system of axioms, the fifth postulate, compatibility of axioms, neutral geometry, independence of the fifth postulate, hyperbolic geometry, Poincarẻ model, spherical geometry, Platonic solids.
Teaching and Learning Methods - Evaluation
|Use of Information and Communications Technology||-|
|Student Performance Evaluation||
Final written exam in Greek (in case of Erasmus students in English) which includes resolving application problems.
- Π. Πάμφιλου, Γεωμετρία, Εκδόσεις Τροχαλία, 1989.
- M.J. Greenberg, Euclidean and non-Euclidean Geometry-Development and History, W.H. Freedmann and Company, 1973.
- R. Hartshorne, Geometry: Euclid and beyond, Springer, 2000.
- H. Meschkowski, Noneuclidean Geometry, Academic Press, 1964.