- Ελληνική Έκδοση
- Undergraduate Courses Outlines
- Outline Modification (available only for faculty members)
- Department of Mathematics
- Save as PDF or Print (to save as PDF, pick the corresponding option from the list of printers, located in the window which will popup)
School of Science
Department of Mathematics
|Level of Studies||
Introduction to Computational Mathematics
|Independent Teaching Activities||
Lectures (Weekly Teaching Hours: 3, Credits: 6)
|Language of Instruction and Examinations||
|Is the Course Offered to Erasmus Students||
Yes (in English)
|Course Website (URL)||See eCourse, the Learning Management System maintained by the University of Ioannina.|
Science is based on two major pillars, both theoretical and experimental. However, over the last few decades scientific computing has emerged and recognized as the third pillar of science. Now, in most scientific disciplines, theoretical and experimental studies are linked to computer analysis. In order for the graduate student to be able to stand with claims in the modern scientific and work environment, knowledge in computational techniques is considered a necessary qualification.
The course aims to enable the student to:
- Vector and matrix definition and calculations
- Basic commands and functions
- Graphic representation of the numerical results
- Polynomial interpolation: Lagrange Method, Newton's Method
- Numerical integration: Simple and generalized types of numerical integration, rectangular rule, trapezoid rule, Simpson rule, Gauss integration
- Numerical solution of non-linear equations: iterative methods, bisection method, fixed point method, Newton's method
- Numerical solution of linear systems - Direct methods: Gauss elimination, LU decomposition.
Teaching and Learning Methods - Evaluation
In the laboratory
|Use of Information and Communications Technology||Use of scientific computing software packages|
|Student Performance Evaluation||
- Introduction to Numerical Analysis, G.D. Akrivis, V.A. Dougalis, 2010 (in Greek).
- Numerical Linear Algebra, V. Dougalis, D. Noutsos, A. (in Greek).
- A Primer on Scientific Programming with Python, H. P. Langtangen, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 5 Edition, 2016.
- Programming for Computations- MATLAB/Octave, S. Linge, H. P. Langtangen, Springer International Publishing, 2016 (in Greek).