- Ελληνική Έκδοση
- Undergraduate Courses Outlines
- Outline Modification (available only for faculty members)
- Department of Mathematics
- Save as PDF or Print (to save as PDF, pick the corresponding option from the list of printers, located in the window which will popup)
School of Science
Department of Mathematics
|Level of Studies||
Introduction to Numerical Analysis
|Independent Teaching Activities||
Lectures (Weekly Teaching Hours: 4, Credits: 7.5)
|Language of Instruction and Examinations||
|Is the Course Offered to Erasmus Students||
Yes (in English)
|Course Website (URL)||See eCourse, the Learning Management System maintained by the University of Ioannina.|
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Error Analysis.
- Numerical solution of nonlinear equations: iterative methods, the fixed-point theorem, Newton’s method, the secant method.
- Numerical solution of linear systems: Matrix norms and conditioning. Direct Methods (Gauss elimination, LU factorization). Iterative methods, convergence, and examples of iterative methods (Jacobi, Gauss-Seidel).
- Polynomial interpolation: Lagrange and Hermite interpolation. Linear splines. Error analysis of interpolation.
- Numerical integration: Newton-Cotes quadrature formula (the trapezoidal rule and Simpson’s rule). Error analysis of numerical integration.
Teaching and Learning Methods - Evaluation
|Use of Information and Communications Technology||
|Student Performance Evaluation||
Written examination (Weighting 100%, addressing learning outcomes 1-4)
- “An Introduction to Numerical Analysis”, E. Süli, and D. Mayers, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2003.