- Ελληνική Έκδοση
- Undergraduate Courses Outlines
- Outline Modification (available only for faculty members)
- Department of Mathematics
- Save as PDF or Print (to save as PDF, pick the corresponding option from the list of printers, located in the window which will popup)
School of Science
Department of Mathematics
|Level of Studies||
|Independent Teaching Activities||
Lectures (Weekly Teaching Hours: 3, Credits: 6)
|Language of Instruction and Examinations||
|Is the Course Offered to Erasmus Students||
|Course Website (URL)||See eCourse, the Learning Management System maintained by the University of Ioannina.|
The course aims in presenting topics concerning real valued functions defined on a metric space. Pointwise and uniform convergence of a sequence of functions are discussed as so as topics like Ascoli-Arzela theorem and Stone-Weirstrass theorem. Applications of the above are also given.
Function spaces on a metric space (X,d), pointwise and uniform convergence of sequence of functions, the space B(X) of real bounded functions on X-, the space C(X) of continuous functions on X – equicontinuous subsets of C(X), Ascoli-Arzela theorem and applications, Dini's theorem, Stone-Weierstrass theorem and applications, separable metric spaces, Lindelof's theorem on Euclidean spaces, the Cantor set, the Cantor function-applications.
Teaching and Learning Methods - Evaluation
|Use of Information and Communications Technology||
Use of ICT for the presentation and communication for submission of the exercises
|Student Performance Evaluation||
Written examination at the end of the semester.
- Charalambos D. Aliprantis, Owen Burkinshaw, Principles of Real Analysis, Academic Press.
- Michael O Searcoid, Metric Spaces, Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series.