- Ελληνική Έκδοση
- Undergraduate Courses Outlines
- Outline Modification (available only for faculty members)
- Department of Mathematics
- Save as PDF or Print (to save as PDF, pick the corresponding option from the list of printers, located in the window which will popup)
School of Science
Department of Mathematics
|Level of Studies||
|Independent Teaching Activities||
Lectures (Weekly Teaching Hours: 3, Credits: 6)
|Language of Instruction and Examinations||
|Is the Course Offered to Erasmus Students||
Yes (in English)
|Course Website (URL)||See eCourse, the Learning Management System maintained by the University of Ioannina.|
The course introduces students to the basic principles of astronomy. Upon successful completion of this course students should be able to:
Mechanisms of emission and absorption of radiation. Radiative transfer in stellar atmospheres. Stellar magnitudes and distances. Stellar spectra and classification, Hertzsprung‐Russell diagram. Internal structure, formation and evolution of stars. Final stages of stars: white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes. The Sun and the solar system. Variable and peculiar stars. Stellar groups and clusters. Interstellar matter. The Milky Way Galaxy. Other galaxies. Cosmology.
Teaching and Learning Methods - Evaluation
Face to face teaching
|Use of Information and Communications Technology||
The Moodle e‐learning platform is used for the delivery of lecture notes and exercises to the students.
|Student Performance Evaluation||
Written examination at the end of semester.
- "Αstrophysics, volume Ι", F. Shu, Crete University Press, ISBN: 978-960-7309-16-7 (in Greek).
- "Αstrophysics, volume ΙI", F. Shu, Crete University Press, ISBN: 978-960-7309-17-4 (in Greek).